Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Day 16


BREAKFAST

Had our usual cup of freshly ground Kicking Horse Espresso coffee...ummmm!

Had a bowl of oatmeal with banana and blueberries, and a glass of pure orange juice.

Popped a vitamin B1 and a D....I've actually eliminated the other vitamins I was taking...three or four...we are getting all the vitamins we need from eating fruits and vegetables.

There is a controversy about the need for those on a vegan type diet to get enough protein. I say controversy, because as usual, there are experts and so called experts on both sides of the argument, with different views. Seems the academics and health care professionals call for extra B1 on account of not enough pure protein. On the other side there are endurance athletes on plant based diets, who take no extra protein supplements whatsoever.

Here is an example



For the time being, and because Katie and I are not on a Raw Foods Diet...I am going to take B1...I am taking the D because of not getting enough sun light in this cold climate during the winter. When I go out for my walks, I am all bundled up so I do not get the necessary sunlight exposure.


LUNCH

Went over to my brother's place, as I had not seen him nor my sister-in-law, since before we went to Texas. Was good to see them. My sister-in-law, gave me a bowl of carrot soup she had made...no...they're not vegan...she just got a great deal on carrots so she bought 5 pounds....ahahahaha.

Couple of years ago, after coming back from a trip to Las Vegas, where I cleaned out every buffet in town...I weighed in at a rotund 271 pounds. I also discovered that I was type 2 diabetic. My blood sugar in Cdn measurements was 19, when it was supposed to be between 4 and 7, or 7 and 10 after meals.

I required three pills a day to control my blood sugar...and I started to make a concerted effort to lose weight and watch my sugar intake. I gradually got the diabetes under control. I ended up losing 35 pounds, and as a result of that and watching my diet, I managed to get off all the pills.

This adventure that Katie and I are on, can do nothing but be good in all sorts of ways. I check my blood sugar fairly regularly, just to make sure. My reading after my visit to my brother's place was 4.7....Excellent!

I am still on high blood pressure medication..(it runs in the family) and as we proceed with this...we will see if that is still required in the end.

DINNER

veggie mushroom fried rice and salad....Very Good!...


for dessert...banana chocolate mousse...made with banana, tofu, cocoa, and a drizzle of maple syrup. It was excellent!

more later....



No comments:

Post a Comment